~ Totally Undeserving of the James Beard Award

~ Completely Undeserving of the James Beard Award ~

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Salmon-chanted Evening...



...you may see a stranger...you may see a strangerrrrrrrr....across a crowded room...and some...


Oh!...hello there...welcome to by humble blog!

It's so nice to have visitors. Do you like to have visitors?

I bet you do. Visitors are nice.

Since you are here...why don't you stay for dinner? I'm having salmon.

Do you like salmon? Me too. Salmon is nice.

And I bet that salmon are nice. If I were a fish, I would like to have a salmon as a visitor like you!

So let's start cooking, shall we? OK.




Here I have a few simple ingredients to enhance the salon. Oops!...I wrote "salon", silly me...of course I meant SALMON!

Clockwise, I have fresh thyme. I wonder why "thyme" is spelled with a "H". Seems rather silly doesn't it?
Then a little freshly cracked black pepper, some dill and finally some salt. 

Yep! That's salt It looks different, huh? Kind of a pink color isn't it? That's because it is "Alaea" Hawaiian salt...all the way from the islands of Hawaii. The color comes from the red volcanic clay found in Hawaii. It doesn't change the flavor, but it is a bit less salty than regular table salt.

Have you been to Hawaii? I bet you have. Hawaii is nice.




So, here's my salmon (notice I didn't write "salon" this time?).

This is Alaskan King salmon...all the way from...that's right!...Alaska!

Have you been to Alaska? I have. Alaska is nice.

Because this salmon is so fresh, I did not want to do much to it..and you know what? I don't NEED to do much to it. I tastes wonderful with just a bit of flavoring, no need to cover up and hide the fresh taste of it. So I lightly sprinkled on the salt, pepper, dill and thyme and added a few slices of lemon.

I am sad for some people. Some people spend a lot of time to catch a fish, and it is so fresh...or some people spend a lot of money for good quality fish, only to hide it with sticky sauces or pastes or whatever and they cover up the fresh flavor of the fish.

I am sad in another way. Some people buy farmed salmon. Can you believe it? They have salmon farms! And they feed them pellets of food of who knows what. Then those ingredients get into the meat, then we eat those pellet ingredients. It's terrible.

Don't buy farmed fish. Farmed fish is not nice.

The salmon went onto (into?) my Traeger smoker grill at about 350º F. Check it often to make sure you don't over cook it.

Do you like over cooked fish? I don't. Over cooked fish is not nice.


To go with my salmon, I cut up some red potatoes and did little fancy thing. Can you see what I did?

That's right! I peeled some skin off. Just for fun.



For the potatoes, I have some salt, also from Hawaii but it is regular sea salt. Also, some fresh rosemary and black peppercorns.



I wanted a very course grind on the pepper, so I crushed them under a small pan until I got the size I wanted.





Like this.


I tossed the potatoes with some olive oil and the spices and baked them for 25 minutes or so at around 350º F. They were small in size, so they didn't take too long.



Now for the veggies...grenn beens. Oh, for heaven's sake! "Grenn Beens"???...that's crazy!

GREEN BEANS! 

I blanched the beans is salted boiling water for about 1 minute until tender and shocked them in an ice bath. Sautéed a few strips of red and yellow bell peppers in a pan with butter..


...then added in the drained beans and tossed them around to heat them through. 

Doesn't it look yummy? Did you know we eat with our eyes?...so if it looks appealing to eat, we will want it more...that's why I added the colorful bell peppers so it wasn't just a bowl of green veggies!



And here it is all plated up. Dig in...won't you!?

Thanks for visiting! I hope you come back another day and we can cook something else!

Bye now!


No comments:

Post a Comment