~ Totally Undeserving of the James Beard Award

~ Completely Undeserving of the James Beard Award ~

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Outer Reaches of Burma - Part 2


As promised, I have once again summarized my notes of my trip to the Irrawaddy River in my attempt to seek out new and unique recipes.

Click below to hear some jungle sounds I was able to capture on by battery powered AEG "K-1" tape recorder



As I mention on my previous post, I am now continuing on to headhunter country!


I came across wonderful huge butterflies...their wingspan must have been 12 inches, but the boat skipper though it was closer to 1 foot...I can't even see their feet!


Up ahead we came to famous "Schweitzer Falls", named after the famous explorer Dr. Albert Falls.


Shhh!...Deep into headhunter country now...this is the area we need to be careful and keep our heads in the game. This is art...skull-pture is proof they are serious...that's Art on top. 


The skipper said not be worried about this guy, who they call Trader Sam. He had dinner with Sam the other night...unfortunately he arrived late and all he gave him was the cold shoulder. Must because his business has been shrinking lately.



We came across a pool of hippos. Not to worry, nothing to be alarmed at folks...only if you see them open their mouths and wiggle their ears like the skipper has, every 12 minutes...routinely...all day long...day after day after day...

(www.toursdepartingdaily.com)

Before I left, I made some inquiries at the National Museum at Marshall College. I wanted to see if I could liaison with any research party which by chance may be this same area at the same time.

As luck would have it, I was successful! A Dr. Jones will in fact be near a tributary of the Irrawaddy River. This is the communique' I received before I left on my trip:



Hours later I reached a camp which I understood to be that of this Dr. Jones. No sight of anyone around...






How in the world he got this here, I have no idea


I called about...heard some noises coming from a sort of ruin...I wasn't sure if I should enter...if the temple was forbidden, I...


...decided to enter...kinda creepy...


...I made it a point to not stay in this area long...



...this guy sure brings a lot of stuff with him....




...I finally found and met up with Dr. Jones..."what took ya so long kid?", he says. "Heard you might be by...well, you must be hungry...come around back, I've got some wild boar on the spit."


Hmmm...not sure about this guys version of a barbecue...it was tasty (and a bit spicy!) though. 

Here's how he made this "Banyan" style meat:

Combine:
1 cup soy sauce
1-1/2 cups water
1 tbl black pepper
3 tbl sesame oil
1 tsp ground red pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp fresh minced garlic

Bring all this to a boil. In a separate small bowl mix together 1 tablespoon cold water and 1 tablespoon corn starch and whisk into simmering sauce to thicken.

Brush thickened sauce over cooked, grilled meat and serve immediately.



And now for the most dangerous part of my journey...returning to civilization!



No comments:

Post a Comment